Why Financial Success Eludes Majority of Healthcare Mergers
"The point you raise about minority ownership ranging from arms-length contracts to joint ventures and affiliation agreements is important," he says, equating such deals to "dating."
"Let's just say there's a lot of dating going on right now."
But what about those who may not be particularly well-positioned for the future, but happen to dominate their local markets? They shouldn't wait too long before exploring their strategic options, Saxena cautions. In other words, don't be a wallflower at the dance.
"If you wait until you're in a precarious position, you've probably waited too long," he says. "If you're just resting upon a strong balance sheet, you're arguably not adding the kind of value you need to in the community and you're existing for the sake of existing.
Those executives should be out in the marketplace looking for partners and doing scenario planning exercises where with a certain trigger they'll go one way or another and agreeing on those triggers with their boards."
Should any of those "triggers" be set off, a sense of urgency would come into play around creating a transaction, he says. In the case of smaller hospitals, you could call it a "living will."
"That would serve them well and ensure they get the most value from a transaction and can name their terms," he says. "If you wait too late, it's just a fire sale and you've destroyed value in the community."
Philip Betbeze is senior leadership editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- CMS Mulls Income-Adjusting MA Stars
- As Retail Clinics Surge, Quality Metrics MIA
- Providers Prep for New Payment Models as Population Health Grows
- Providers' Push to Consolidate Roils Payers
- 3 Ways to Rev Employee Development Programs
- Former NQF Co-Chair Linked to Conflicts of Interest in Journal Probe
- No Employee Satisfaction, No Patient-Centered Culture
- Transforming Decision Support and Reporting
- 6 Not-So-Good Reasons for Avoiding Population Health
- Aligning Executive Compensation with Provider Mission