5.Average time patients who came to the emergency department with broken bones had to wait before receiving pain medication. A lower number of minutes is better.
- Southeast Georgia Health System, Brunswick Campus, Brunswick, GA —1,050
- John D. Archbold Memorial Hospital, Thomasville, GA—1,049
- Southeast Georgia Health System, Camden campus, St. Mary, GA—531
- University Health System, San Antonio, TX—252
- Charity Hospital & Medical Center of Louisiana, New Orleans, LA—190
- Harris Health System, Houston, TX—186
- San Francisco General Hospital, San Francisco, CA—167
- John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital, Chicago, IL—154
- Parkland Health and Hospital System, Dallas, TX—152
- Queens Hospital Center, Jamaica, NY—149
6.Percentage of patients who left the emergency department before being seen. Lower percentages are better.
- Cartersville Medical Center, Cartersville, GA—36%
- Cypress Fairbanks Medical Center, Houston, TX—36%
- John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital, Chicago, IL—25%
- Cooper Green Mercy Hospital, Birmingham, AL—24%
- St. Barnabas in the Bronx, NY—18%
- Community Regional Medical Center, Fresno, CA—16%
- UMN, Albuquerque, NM—16%
- Charity Hospital & Medical Center of Louisiana, New Orleans, LA— 15%
- Earl K. Long Medical Center, Baton Rouge, LA—15%
- Starr County Memorial Hospital, Rio Grande, TX—15%
7. Percentage of patients who came to the emergency department with stroke symptoms who received brain scan results within 45 minutes of arrival. Higher percentages are better. Only two hospitals had enough cases for reliable report.
- University Hospital of Brooklyn (Downstate), NY—23%
- Scripps Mercy Hospital, San Diego, CA 19%
Cheryl Clark is senior quality editor and California correspondent for HealthLeaders Media. She is a member of the Association of Health Care Journalists.