4 Strategies to Improve the Patient Experience
4.Improve patient communication
Yes, cultivating informed patients can improve the patient experience. Providing patients with friendly, uncomplicated, and practical information about what to expect from their hospital stay will help the patients feel more at ease even before they step foot in your facility.
This virtual or paper first point of contact can be just as important in making a positive impression as the physical first point of contact.
It's also important to "examine and improve all aspects of communications with patients from initial contact with the physician referral line through episodes of care to interactions around insurance and billing," DeStanto says.
Much like how the patient experience can begin before the patient enters the hospital grounds, it can continue long after the patient leaves.
In order to stay competitive in today's healthcare environment, marketers must be responsible for much more than advertising and public relations. Not only must marketers communicate the brand, they must create and sustain the brand.
"If marketing is ever to evolve into the important strategic discipline in healthcare that it is in other industries, then the marketing department must take the lead role in orchestrating the patient experience," Adamson says.
"For those marketers who choose not to leap across this chasm with excitement, however, they will be dooming themselves and the departments they lead to more of the same frustration that has been vocalized since the advent of healthcare marketing."
- CVS Ramps Up Retail Clinics with Provider Affiliations
- 4 Tectonic Shifts Shaking Up Healthcare
- As States Regulate Provider Competition, Common Threads Emerge
- Medical Errors Third Leading Cause of Death, Senators Told
- Contradictory Obamacare Rulings Issued by Appellate Courts
- As HIPAA Breaches Accelerate, Tools Lag
- Study Puts Spotlight on Preventing Fall-Related Injuries
- Roundtable: Life After a Healthcare Organization Acquisition
- Wanted: Nurse PhDs
- Recruiting Retired Clinicians