UF Health Rebranding Shows Employees 'The Big Picture'
"We were able to easily measure because it (The Big Picture campaign) all lived online," says Wessel. "There are more than 22,000 employees at UF Health. The metrics showed us that more than 11,000 employees visited and engaged with the site, which is impressive. We got more than half the employees to visit."
What impressed Wessel more than the high rate of participation was that more than one-third of employees did not have access to the website during their workday, meaning they had to go to the site after hours or during their lunch breaks.
The hospital system also held multiple employee forums across its system to explain the purpose behind the rebrand and the vision. The thought put into getting employees on board so far in advance—three years—shows that leadership truly values its workforce. Authenticity like that can go a long way in changing the loyalty of an employee who is resistant to a name or brand change.
Guzick knows that longtime employees can be hard to convince, but he says he is seeing signs that the vision of a single, functioning organization from two legally separate entities is working.
"When folks who've been here a long time and didn't think anything would ever change, either stop me in the hall or send me a note saying, 'This is really an exciting place to be,' it hits home, in terms of how the brand is functionally becoming operative in the organization," says Guzick.
"This is more than employee engagement. They're all working improving patient care, our research efforts, and they all understand their role in the bigger picture."
Jacqueline Fellows is an editor for HealthLeaders Media.
- Antibiotic Overuse a 'Huge Threat' to Patient Safety, Says CDC
- Consumerism Drives Healthcare Branding, Rebranding Efforts
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- CHS Hacked, 4.5M Patient Records Compromised
- Business Roundup: M&A Activity Down Slightly in First Half of 2014
- CFO Exchange: Healthcare Leaders Share 5 Innovative Ideas
- Large Employers Trimming Healthcare Spending
- 3 Things the Ice Bucket Challenge Can Teach Hospital Marketers