How Mobile Technologies Fuel TeleHealth Advances
The disruption that truly mobile telemonitoring will inflict on healthcare goes deeper, Wasden says. "Doctors are very comfortable making gut decisions practicing medicine on an empirical and an anecdotal basis, but they're not comfortable saying that, ‘I made this decision based upon an analysis of the data that says that you have a 98% chance of doing better if we do this than doing that,' " he says.
Speaking for himself and not for Mayo, Matly expects direct-to-consumer payment to closely track mHealth technology adoption, while Kvedar sees the system working itself out somehow.
"Providers of all stripes, dermatologists included, are now open to different models of care delivery," Kvedar says. "They're more likely to say, ‘Okay, what we're going to do is concentrate on doing the right thing, and because these reimbursement models are changing, we have the faith to figure out that we'll be able to get paid for our work.' "
For now, mHealth has yet to approach the fullness of its promise. But the way forward may be getting clearer with time. "In Massachusetts we are going at risk with every single payer in our system," Kvedar says. "We also already have a signed contract with BlueCross of Massachusetts that puts us at risk, and we're negotiating with all of our other payers, so we're changing the mind-set of our organization to be less focused on volume and more focused on value. As we do that, tools like connected health become
This article appears in the September 2012 issue of HealthLeaders magazine.
Scott Mace is senior technology editor at HealthLeaders Media.
- 'Mega Boards' Could be Rural Healthcare Disruptor
- 1 in 5 Eligible Hospitals Penalized for HACs
- 12 Hires to Keep Your Hospital Out of Trouble
- Meaningful Use Payment Adjustments Begin
- HL20: Lee Aase—Who's Behind @MayoClinic
- No Boost to NFP Hospital Bond Ratings from Medicaid Expansion
- Ratcheting Up Patient Experience Has a Downside
- HL20: Peter Semczuk, DDS, MPH—Taking on the Big Challenges
- HL20: Rebecca Katz—Cooking Up Sustainable Nourishment
- Top 3 Nursing Lessons of 2014