Medical Errors Draw $770,000 in Fines in CA
8. At St. Joseph Hospital, Orange
A patient undergoing a Cesarean section coded and required resuscitation because staff failed to alert a physician that her blood pressure had dropped and her heart rate had increased for four hours.
"After a change of shift in the post-operative recovery room, the oncoming RN was unaware of the patient's pre-operative laboratory results and did not review the patient's pre-operative vital signs?or any vital signs taken prior to the change of shift."
There was no further status documentation "until the hospital's Medical Emergency Team was called?the patient had a seizure, required ventilation and was transferred to the ICU where the patient had a cardiac arrest," according to state documents. "The patient's condition deteriorated and she passed away."
This is the hospital's third administrative penalty.
Harm to Psychiatric Patients
California also issued immediate jeopardy fines totaling $295,000 to five hospitals where patients who were undergoing care related to mental or behavioral health were harmed. Documents detailing these incidents can not be released according to confidentially provisions in state law. Those organizations and their fines:
- Aurora San Diego ? $75,000
- LAC/Harbor-UCLA Medical Center ? $75,000
- Memorial Hospital Los Banos ? $20,000
- Pacifica Hospital of the Valley ? $50,000
- University of California Irvine Medical Center ? $75,000
State officials released no other information on these incidents.
Cheryl Clark is senior quality editor and California correspondent for HealthLeaders Media. She is a member of the Association of Health Care Journalists.
- Drug Pricing 'Tantamount to Greed,' Lawmaker Says
- Surgical Checklists Unused in 10% of Hospitals, CMS Data Shows
- The Infection-Busting Treatment Payers Don’t Want to Talk About
- CVS Ramps Up Retail Clinics with Provider Affiliations
- Wanted: Nurse PhDs
- 4 Tectonic Shifts Shaking Up Healthcare
- Study Puts Spotlight on Preventing Fall-Related Injuries
- Doctors Feel Pressure to Accept Risk-based Reimbursement
- Ascension, Carondelet to Partner with Tenet, Dignity Health
- Rural Means Older and Sicker, Data Confirms