13 Bizarre Healthcare Stories
11. Mystery Lottery Winner Gives Hospital $10K Ticket
A generous Kansas Lottery player has given the Mitchell County Regional Medical Foundation in Beloit, KS, the gift of a $10,000 winning Powerball ticket. The surprise gift arrived in the mail anonymously July 28 with this note: "Please accept this gift for the Mitchell County Regional Medical Foundation for the good work you do. God Bless!" The ticket arrived at the hospital, unsigned. The $10,000 winning ticket matched four of the first five numbers and the Powerball in the July 17 Powerball drawing. The Lottery knows where and when the ticket was purchased but no one knows the identity of the player who purchased the ticket.
12. This is a Bust!
The Associated Press reported in December that police in Boise, ID, busted a woman for allegedly impersonating a plastic surgeon and conducting breast exams on at least two women in local bars. Kristina B. Ross, 37, was charged with unlicensed practice of medicine. Police were tipped off by employees of a licensed plastic surgeon who said they were calling to schedule appointments with Dr. Berlyn Aussieahshowna. But no doctor by that name worked at the office. Police contacted the women who had called and they identified Ross, who does not have a license to practice medicine.
13. Thank God it Wasn't 3D!
A pharmacy manager at a Wayne (PA) hospital was fired and slapped with an invasion of privacy charge after he admitted placing a hidden camera in the ceiling of a men's bathroom at St. Joseph's Hospital. Leonardo Zoppa, 34, was arrested in early November after he allegedly admitted to placing cameras in two other bathrooms, a Barnes and Noble, and a gym. Police said Zoppa allegedly told a co-worker: "I put that camera in the bathroom. I have a problem."
John Commins is a senior editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- CDC Warns of Antibiotic Overuse in Hospitals
- Two-Midnight Rule Must be Fixed or Replaced, Say Providers
- Don't Underestimate Emotional Intelligence
- Care Coordination Tough to Define, Measure
- The Secret to Physician Engagement? It's Not Better Pay
- SCOTUS Review of NC Board Case 'A Very Big Deal' to Providers
- Yale New Haven Health Partners with Tenet Healthcare in CT
- Physicians Take SGR Repeal Message to Washington
- Size Matters in Antibiotic Overuse
- Evidence-Based Practice and Nursing Research: Avoiding Confusion