13 Bizarre Healthcare Stories
11. Mystery Lottery Winner Gives Hospital $10K Ticket
A generous Kansas Lottery player has given the Mitchell County Regional Medical Foundation in Beloit, KS, the gift of a $10,000 winning Powerball ticket. The surprise gift arrived in the mail anonymously July 28 with this note: "Please accept this gift for the Mitchell County Regional Medical Foundation for the good work you do. God Bless!" The ticket arrived at the hospital, unsigned. The $10,000 winning ticket matched four of the first five numbers and the Powerball in the July 17 Powerball drawing. The Lottery knows where and when the ticket was purchased but no one knows the identity of the player who purchased the ticket.
12. This is a Bust!
The Associated Press reported in December that police in Boise, ID, busted a woman for allegedly impersonating a plastic surgeon and conducting breast exams on at least two women in local bars. Kristina B. Ross, 37, was charged with unlicensed practice of medicine. Police were tipped off by employees of a licensed plastic surgeon who said they were calling to schedule appointments with Dr. Berlyn Aussieahshowna. But no doctor by that name worked at the office. Police contacted the women who had called and they identified Ross, who does not have a license to practice medicine.
13. Thank God it Wasn't 3D!
A pharmacy manager at a Wayne (PA) hospital was fired and slapped with an invasion of privacy charge after he admitted placing a hidden camera in the ceiling of a men's bathroom at St. Joseph's Hospital. Leonardo Zoppa, 34, was arrested in early November after he allegedly admitted to placing cameras in two other bathrooms, a Barnes and Noble, and a gym. Police said Zoppa allegedly told a co-worker: "I put that camera in the bathroom. I have a problem."
John Commins is a senior editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- MU Compliance Announcement Sparks Concern, Confusion
- New G-Codes to Pay Doctors for Broad Array of Non-Face-to-Face Care
- Scary Financial Challenges for 2014
- MGMA Urges 'End-to-End' ICD-10 Testing
- 1 in 5 CT Screenings for Lung Cancer Results in Overdiagnosis
- Resisting the Healthcare Consolidation Frenzy
- LifePoint Bolsters Presence in Michigan's Upper Peninsula
- Telehealth Improves Patient Care in ICUs
- CMS Sets 2014 Pay Rates for Hospital Outpatient and Physician Services
- Give Nurses in Wheelchairs a Chance