Pay Gap Confirmed: Male Physicians Earn More
Regardless, there has to be further, detailed study into what they have begun to find, the authors say, opening the door for "new considerations for medical institutions and policy makers."
Future research would benefit from a "more detailed understanding of the specific job characteristics," Gerber says. In that way, it could be determined whether "this compensation disparity truly reflects differences in the jobs themselves, or other forces at play in the labor market."
In the wake of healthcare reform, it is more important than ever to know more about the physician labor force, says Lo Sasso, not only for physicians themselves, but overall patient care.
Joe Cantlupe is a senior editor with HealthLeaders Media Online.
- CVS Ramps Up Retail Clinics with Provider Affiliations
- 4 Tectonic Shifts Shaking Up Healthcare
- Drug Pricing 'Tantamount to Greed,' Lawmaker Says
- Wanted: Nurse PhDs
- Contradictory Obamacare Rulings Issued by Appellate Courts
- Study Puts Spotlight on Preventing Fall-Related Injuries
- As HIPAA Breaches Accelerate, Tools Lag
- Roundtable: Life After a Healthcare Organization Acquisition
- The Infection-Busting Treatment Payers Don’t Want to Talk About
- Medical Errors Third Leading Cause of Death, Senators Told