Pay Gap Confirmed: Male Physicians Earn More
Regardless, there has to be further, detailed study into what they have begun to find, the authors say, opening the door for "new considerations for medical institutions and policy makers."
Future research would benefit from a "more detailed understanding of the specific job characteristics," Gerber says. In that way, it could be determined whether "this compensation disparity truly reflects differences in the jobs themselves, or other forces at play in the labor market."
In the wake of healthcare reform, it is more important than ever to know more about the physician labor force, says Lo Sasso, not only for physicians themselves, but overall patient care.
Joe Cantlupe is a senior editor with HealthLeaders Media Online.
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- How Digital Strategy Shapes Patient Engagement at Boston Children's Hospital
- Half of All Primary Care, Internal Medicine Jobs Unfilled in 2013
- CNO on Hospital Redesign: 'You Can't Over-Communicate'
- Carondelet to Pay $35M to Settle Fraud Allegations
- Some Cancer Hospitals' Quality Data Will Soon Be Public
- Consumerism Drives Healthcare Branding, Rebranding Efforts
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- CA Powers Up $80M HIE to 'Create Value in the Data'