15 HCAHPS Buzzwords Every Provider Should Know
10. "Teach to the Meet" or "Teach to the Test"
A practice, generally frowned upon, in which hospitals and caregiver teams put all their efforts on improving just those areas that are the basis for value-based purchasing payment scores. The concern is that by putting resources into just those areas, other areas of hospital care may be neglected.
The Clinician and Group CAHPS (CGCAHPS) survey is similar to HCAHPS. This standardized tool to measure patients' perceptions of care provided by physicians in an office setting will soon become the basis for value based purchasing incentives for specific physicians.
The number of completed patient HCAHPS surveys that must be turned into the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services for the first FY 2013 payment determinations.
A complex mathematical formula by which scores for multiple questions and metrics are weighted, adjusted, and translated into an overall score for total performance.
All hospitals will have 1% of their Medicare payments under DRG schedules reduced for FY 2013, but the percentage of reduction becomes greater in subsequent years, 1.25% for FY 2014, 1.5% for FY 2015, 1.75% for FY 2016, and 2.0% for FY 2017 and subsequent years
By Aug. 2, 2012, or 60 days prior to Oct. 1, 2012, CMS will publicize each hospital's estimated performance score and value-based incentive payment for FY 2013.
On Nov. 1, 2012, each hospital will learn the exact amount of its adjustment.
CMS will not provide notification to hospitals of the exact amount of their value-based incentive adjustments until November 1, 2012.
Cheryl Clark is senior quality editor and California correspondent for HealthLeaders Media. She is a member of the Association of Health Care Journalists.
- CMS Sets 2014 Pay Rates for Hospital Outpatient and Physician Services
- FDA hopes hospitals will switch to newly regulated pharmacies
- The 5 Biggest Healthcare Finance Trouble Spots
- Not-for-Profit Hospitals Find Opportunity Amid Uncertainty
- Nonprofit Hospital Outlook 'Negative' in 2014
- The Most Polarizing Topics in Healthcare IT
- How CPOE Will Make Healthcare Smarter
- Why You Should Involve Patients in Nursing Handoffs
- Are ACOs Really Different from HMOs?
- Rise of the Chief Strategy Officer