4 Social Media Strategies to Build Patient Loyalty
4. Tie Social Media to Service Lines
Ideally you want to connect social media campaigns to something that you are trying to promote, says Falls. "That ties [the campaign] into the business purpose for doing it and makes it easier for the C-suite to understand that there is a goal here, that you can identify it and see if you are meeting it."
Kustra says that based on the success of Movember, the hospital is trying to come up with an event each month that relates to a healthcare topic. For example, for February, it is doing a "What Do You Heart?" contest—where people can submit a photo of what they love, such as spending time with family, reading a book, or a favorite activity.
At presstime, it had a good mix of community members and employees submitting photos, Kustra says, adding that within five minutes of posting the contest, it had three submissions.
Stebbins says the "Go Red for Women" event and Facebook contest were part of St. Peter's overall strategy to promote its cardiologists, cardiology clinic, and services. "We also created a Helena HeartBeat publication with health and wellness education featuring our providers and a personal health tracker," she says. St. Peter's will probably do about six contests during the year, all of which will align with its community events, Stebbins says. "Most of our future endeavors will be targeted at women ages 25 plus, those who make the healthcare decisions for their families," she adds.
Falls advises healthcare organizations that are new to social media or looking to improve their consumer engagement to pay attention to what other people are doing. "Don't be afraid of putting together a contest and not having it be all you'd hope it would be," he says. "The important thing is to be out there."
Carrie Vaughan is a senior editor with HealthLeaders magazine. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- How Top-Ranked MA Plans Earn Their Stars
- How Hospitals Can Become 'Upstreamists'
- Readmissions: No Quick Fix to Costly Hospital Challenge
- WellPoint Dominates Nearly Half of Markets, AMA Says
- CMS Offers Some ACOs $114M for 'Upfront' Costs
- 4 Ways to Lower the Cost to Collect from Self-Pay Patients
- 4 Tips for Managing Employed Physicians
- Ebola: Second TX Nurse Diagnosed After Improper Protective Gear Application
- House Calls Key to Pioneer ACO Success
- Providers Ask HHS to Address EHR Interoperability Barriers