Proposed MU Rules Draw Strong Reaction
Physicians, University of Utah:
"Epic, Cerner, and all major vendors make it absolutely impossible for physicians to bring in outside tools to measure Patient-Reported Outcomes (PROs). This is a real problem… if we are ever going to be able to measure value. Meaningful use must require open access to all EHRs from the vendors. We need to be able to integrate outside tools such as the NIH PROMIS system in the flow of patient care using EHRs."
Cincinnati Children' Hospital Medical Center:
"While a number of pediatric measures were added this year, most of the new measures are only related to very specific specialties. Based on the measures presented, a large number of our providers would still have zero denominators when reporting for Stage 2. We are requesting additional pediatric measures be added as well as the exclusion for patients 18 years and older."
Pacific Orthotics & Prosthetics (California):
"This new look-back period would certainly be the last straw. I am a small business owner competing with corporations that have far more resources. If I have to worry for 10 years that someone may request money back, I will certainly close my shop. … Stop burdening a much-needed industry and look somewhere else for money. The orthotics and prosthetics industry should not be lumped in with the durable medical equipment industry.
Larry Preston, Professional Medical Consultants, Las Vegas
"Providing office visit summaries in 24 hours will actually harm the patient in the some cases, since we will not have time to include lab and other diagnostic tests that were ordered on that visit. The current requirement of 72 hours at least allows for those tests to be documented in the physician's notes prior to sending to the patient."
Margaret Dick Tocknell is a reporter/editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- CMS Mulls Income-Adjusting MA Stars
- Providers Prep for New Payment Models as Population Health Grows
- As Retail Clinics Surge, Quality Metrics MIA
- Providers' Push to Consolidate Roils Payers
- 3 Ways to Rev Employee Development Programs
- Transforming Decision Support and Reporting
- Aligning Executive Compensation with Provider Mission
- Former NQF Co-Chair Linked to Conflicts of Interest in Journal Probe
- 6 Not-So-Good Reasons for Avoiding Population Health
- Nurse Ethics Comes to a Head at Guantanamo Bay