Atul Gawande's 80% Healthcare Solution
Looking at the article through a "data" microscope, Merlino says that its proposals to link healthcare to "reliability, precision, and operational efficiency" is certainly needed and being developed in healthcare. "That's about 80% right," he says.
But about 20% of the Cheesecake story is off the mark, Merlino says,
because there is an element in healthcare that involves experience among staff, involvement and passion, "that differentiates this kind of custom approach" from a restaurant chain, and can't be duplicated.
"When you get into complicated disease management, I may be biased because I'm a surgeon, but nobody behaves like everybody else, that's where skill and experience play a role," he adds.
"They can't come up in an assembly-line mindset. There may be up the road some diagnostic treatment computer that functions like some Star Wars machine. There's no question, 50 or 60 years from now, it will come to that. Now, there is still a requirement of the skill level and very important experience for a delivery of customized care that doesn't just roll off the assembly line."
At Cleveland Clinic, there are at least a dozen high-volume surgeons, "who are grounded by this tremendous process," Merlino adds. "But you can't put anybody in that role and you still have the skill mix and skill experience to make it a customized approach in healthcare to take care of the very sickest of patients. There's that highly skilled piece to manage patients, with experience that you can't get off the assembly line to do cookie cutter medicine."
Merlino caught himself, "yeah, cookie cutter."
Joe Cantlupe is a senior editor with HealthLeaders Media Online.
- EHR Spending Continues, But Jury Still Out on ROI
- Why Is Healthcare Price Transparency So Hard?
- 5 Hot Healthcare Ideas from SXSW
- Adverse Events from Insulin Prescribing 'An Epidemic'
- Payers Detail Strategies That Drive Consumer Satisfaction
- Hospital Groups Strike Back at Hospital Rating Systems
- Care Coordination a Cost-Cutting Quality Driver
- Use of Locum Tenens Up 22% in One Year
- Hospital CEO Turnover Hits Record High
- 4 Marketing Tactics for Hospitals on Instagram