Young Doctors Spend 13% More Than Older Physicians
Mehrotra says that the study is significant because previous studies on the relationship between practice patterns and physician experience are mixed. Several studies have found lower rates of diagnostic testing among more experienced physicians, but other studies have found the opposite relationship between experience and services, such as electrocardiograms, Mehrotra says.
"Although winners and losers are inevitable in any cost profiling effort, physicians with less experience are likely to be negatively affected by policies that use cost profiles unless they change their practice patterns," Mehrotra wrote.
He says that physician-training programs should focus more attention on cost-efficiencies. "Postgraduate training programs and specialty boards need to educate physicians on their responsibility to be good stewards of healthcare resources."
"It is conceivable that as they gain more experience these same physicians may develop less costly practice patterns," he adds. One of the ways they can do that is through multi-disciplinary approaches that many hospital systems are embarking on—true partnerships focusing on quality and efficiency, Mehrotra told me.
Like this week's elections, he adds, "winners and losers" are inevitable in any cost profiling effort. And, coordinated care is needed among young and older physicians because, for one thing, healthcare reform is well on its way, with Romney's vision of it being erased, gone with his defeat.
Joe Cantlupe is a senior editor with HealthLeaders Media Online.
- As Medicare Advantage Cuts Loom, Disagreement Over Program's Stability
- Medicare Advantage Carriers See 'No Choice' But to Accept Cuts
- Centralizing the Revenue Cycle Protects the Bottom Line
- CA Fines 8 Hospitals for Medical Errors
- Physicians to Appeal 'Docs v. Glocks' Ruling in FL
- Doctors Feel Pressure to Accept Risk-based Reimbursement
- Surgical Checklists Unused in 10% of Hospitals, CMS Data Shows
- Employers Weigh Risks, Benefits of Private Exchanges
- 3 Management Lessons from a Supermarket Debacle
- Revenue Cycles Get a Boost from Simple JPEG Files