IHI Forum Reflections: 10 'Aha' Moments
10. Frederick Ryckman, MD, senior vice president of medical operations and professor of surgery at 523-bed Cincinnati Children's Hospital.
"One of the themes here was the near misses and precursor events, and to have a new appreciation of all this work being done to recognize those on multiple fronts. The old idea that there is a threshold (of mistakes and mishaps that happen in healthcare), and you can't get below that, is being dissolved."
There were more 'aha' moments expressed by others. But I'll write about those another time.
Cheryl Clark is senior quality editor and California correspondent for HealthLeaders Media. She is a member of the Association of Health Care Journalists.
- ICD-10 Delay Alters Provider, Vendor Prep
- Providers Lag as Consumers Set Agenda
- Esther Dyson Launches Population Health Challenge
- Payment Reform Naysayers 'Better Wake Up'
- Crisis Spurs Healthcare Payment Reform in Arkansas
- HIT Leaders Want Flexibility, Transparency from Next HHS Chief
- Look Beyond Nurse-Patient Ratios
- As Hospitalist Patient Loads Rise, So Do Hospital Costs
- Reduce Readmissions by Activating Patients to Do 'Self-Care'
- Advance Directives: Let's Make a Law