IHI Forum Reflections: 10 'Aha' Moments
10. Frederick Ryckman, MD, senior vice president of medical operations and professor of surgery at 523-bed Cincinnati Children's Hospital.
"One of the themes here was the near misses and precursor events, and to have a new appreciation of all this work being done to recognize those on multiple fronts. The old idea that there is a threshold (of mistakes and mishaps that happen in healthcare), and you can't get below that, is being dissolved."
There were more 'aha' moments expressed by others. But I'll write about those another time.
Cheryl Clark is senior quality editor and California correspondent for HealthLeaders Media. She is a member of the Association of Health Care Journalists.
- Drug Pricing 'Tantamount to Greed,' Lawmaker Says
- CVS Ramps Up Retail Clinics with Provider Affiliations
- Study Puts Spotlight on Preventing Fall-Related Injuries
- Wanted: Nurse PhDs
- Surgical Checklists Unused in 10% of Hospitals, CMS Data Shows
- The Infection-Busting Treatment Payers Don’t Want to Talk About
- Contradictory Obamacare Rulings Issued by Appellate Courts
- 4 Tectonic Shifts Shaking Up Healthcare
- As HIPAA Breaches Accelerate, Tools Lag
- Doctors Feel Pressure to Accept Risk-based Reimbursement