IHI Forum Reflections: 10 'Aha' Moments
10. Frederick Ryckman, MD, senior vice president of medical operations and professor of surgery at 523-bed Cincinnati Children's Hospital.
"One of the themes here was the near misses and precursor events, and to have a new appreciation of all this work being done to recognize those on multiple fronts. The old idea that there is a threshold (of mistakes and mishaps that happen in healthcare), and you can't get below that, is being dissolved."
There were more 'aha' moments expressed by others. But I'll write about those another time.
Cheryl Clark is senior quality editor and California correspondent for HealthLeaders Media. She is a member of the Association of Health Care Journalists.
- 'Mega Boards' Could be Rural Healthcare Disruptor
- HL20: Lee Aase—Who's Behind @MayoClinic
- Meaningful Use Payment Adjustments Begin
- 1 in 5 Eligible Hospitals Penalized for HACs
- 12 Hires to Keep Your Hospital Out of Trouble
- No Boost to NFP Hospital Bond Ratings from Medicaid Expansion
- A Christmas Wish List for US Healthcare
- HL20: Peter Semczuk, DDS, MPH—Taking on the Big Challenges
- Top 3 Nursing Lessons of 2014
- Ratcheting Up Patient Experience Has a Downside