The statement said the 288-bed hospital would focus on adult smoking cessation counseling and taking blood cultures to assess appropriate antibiotic dosage for pneumonia patients. And it will redesign care for heart failure patients and ensure that patients with a heart attack receive an aspirin when they arrive and aspirin and beta blockers on discharge.
The statement touted several awards the hospital has received from the Joint Commission and the Society of Chest Pain Centers.
"As the science of measuring quality outcomes continues to advance, Piedmont will continue to review the many types of studies available in order to provide information on how we can continually work to improve patient care processes for better outcomes," the statement said.
In case you wondered which were the best performing hospitals in all three disease categories for 30-day all-cause mortality, here's the list.
- Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA
- Yale New Haven Hospital, New Haven, CT.
- Mount Sinai Medical Center, Miami Beach, FL
- Evanston Hospital, Evanston, IL
- Saint Joseph Hospital, Chicago, IL
- Alexian Brothers Medical Center, Elk Grove, IL
- Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA
- Beth Israel Deaconness Medical Center, Boston, MA
- Providence Hospital and Medical Centers, Southfield, MI
- William Beaumont Hospital, Troy, MI
- Missouri Baptist Medical Center, Town and Country, MO
- Hackensack University Medical Center, Hackensack, NJ
- Holy Name Medical Center, Teaneck, NJ
- New York-Presbyterian Hospital, NY, NY
- Maimonides Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY
- New York University Hospitals Center, NY, NY
- Portland VA Medical Center, Portland, OR
- Lehigh Valley Hospital, Allentown, PA
- The Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX
- Aurora St. Luke's Medical Center, Milwaukee, WI
Cheryl Clark is senior quality editor and California correspondent for HealthLeaders Media. She is a member of the Association of Health Care Journalists.