CMS's Proposed Hospital Staffing Revisions Get Cool Reception
Catholic Health Initiatives, a Colorado-based health system with facilities in 19 states, supports allowing patients and their caregivers to administer personal and hospital-based medications. "CMS is recognizing that different hospitals have different needs and that many hospital patients are already on maintenance drugs." CHI also supports the elimination of the dedicated log of infection incidents. "Currently, CMS requires an infection and communicable disease log separate from the hospital's general infection control surveillance policy. CMS is proposing to remove this redundant and burdensome requirement."
The National Kidney Foundation agrees with the elimination of the requirement that the transplantation team verify blood type before organ recovery because organ procurement organizations already perform that function. But to prevent medical errors the foundation wants the multiple checks of blood types to be maintained before transplantation. In its letter the foundation noted recent deaths related to incompatible organ transplants.
The American Telemedicine Association wants CMS to consider the advantages of telemedicine in setting requirements for emergency care and stroke treatment. "In the last 10 years telestroke initiatives have been instituted in practically every state…it is now time for CMS to take the next step to allow hospitals the use of telemedicine to eliminate the burden and cost of maintaining their own stroke specialists."
The comment period for the proposed rules ended Dec. 23. CMS has not announced a time frame for issuing its final rule on hospital conditions of participation.
Margaret Dick Tocknell is a reporter/editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- Senators Hear How Two-Midnight Rule Harms Patients, Hospitals
- 3 Management Lessons from a Supermarket Debacle
- Medicare Advantage Carriers See 'No Choice' But to Accept Cuts
- Physicians to Appeal 'Docs v. Glocks' Ruling in FL
- IOM Identifies GME Problems, Calls for Finance Changes
- Healthcare Costs Start With What We Eat
- Revenue Cycles Get a Boost from Simple JPEG Files
- Handshaking Spreads Germs. Get Over It.
- CA Fines 8 Hospitals for Medical Errors
- Anatomy of 3 Health System Rebranding Efforts