Patients Set to Unleash Feedback on Doctors
"It's not overwhelming, as in lots and lots of evidence that's been repeated, but there's enough that I can say with confidence there's a good correlation between experience in the practice and outcomes," he says.
Research into the reasons why patients failed to follow up with appointments shows one negative impact of a patient's poor experience with a doctor. One response that came out was the physician's failure to show the patient respect.
"When you parse out 'respect,' with these individuals, it turned out that it masked things like, 'You kept me waiting around,' 'You didn't listen to me,' 'You treated me rudely,' " Moore says.
Likewise, Moore says there is a lot more scientific evidence that points to the inverse, that patients who have good experiences with their visits and perceive that their doctors treat them with respect are more likely to stick to recommended treatment plans.
A colleague conveyed a comment made by a physician at last week’s American Medical Group Association National Conference in San Diego, “If your patients are non-compliant, then it’s your fault [as the doctor]. You didn’t convince them.” And how can you ‘convince’ your patients if they don’t feel you respect them?
So to patients who think they deserve faster responses, shorter waits and yes, more respect from their doctors and practice staff, I say just wait a bit longer. You'll soon have your chance to tell them in a format that will command them to pay attention.
Cheryl Clark is senior quality editor and California correspondent for HealthLeaders Media. She is a member of the Association of Health Care Journalists.
- New G-Codes to Pay Doctors for Broad Array of Non-Face-to-Face Care
- CMS Sets 2014 Pay Rates for Hospital Outpatient and Physician Services
- Telehealth Improves Patient Care in ICUs
- MU Compliance Announcement Sparks Concern, Confusion
- Hospital M&A Volume Up, Value Down in 3Q
- Small Doesn't Mean Doomed
- Douglas Hawthorne—A Chance to Do Something Big
- The 5 Biggest Healthcare Finance Trouble Spots
- States Rejecting Medicaid Expansion Forgo Billions in Federal Funds
- Why You Should Involve Patients in Nursing Handoffs