Feds to Release 8 Quality Measures for Psych Unit Care
The first reporting period for these last two measures ran from April 1, 2013 through Dec. 31, 2013.
- SUB-1 – The percentage of patients who are screened during their hospital stay using a validated screening questionnaire for unhealthy alcohol use.
- FUH – The percentage patients discharged who had an outpatient visit, an intensive outpatient encounter or a partial hospitalization with a mental health practitioner with seven days of discharge.
The Sharp Grossmont team that took care of Jeffrey Christopher in 2008, as well as the top hospital executives in that organization's C-suite, were devastated over this case. They went to great lengths to make changes so deaths to psychiatric patients in their care would never happen again.
I haven't heard that it has. But I look forward to the release of this data. I think it will be a surprise to many hospital caregivers who see for the first time how they compare in their care of psychiatric patients.
Cheryl Clark is senior quality editor and California correspondent for HealthLeaders Media. She is a member of the Association of Health Care Journalists.
- 'Kafkaesque' Value System Unfairly Penalizes Doctor Pay
- Proton Beam Therapy Poised for Growth in US
- mHealth Tackles Readmissions
- CNO Leads $1M Charge for New Scrubs, Uniforms
- Some Cancer Hospitals' Quality Data Will Soon Be Public
- Targeting Self-Insured Populations
- 4 Crucial Tactics for Reining in Healthcare Cost
- MA an Insurance Proving Ground for Providers
- How Digital Strategy Shapes Patient Engagement at Boston Children's Hospital
- How, and Why, to Recruit Male Nurses