Feds to Release 8 Quality Measures for Psych Unit Care
The first reporting period for these last two measures ran from April 1, 2013 through Dec. 31, 2013.
- SUB-1 – The percentage of patients who are screened during their hospital stay using a validated screening questionnaire for unhealthy alcohol use.
- FUH – The percentage patients discharged who had an outpatient visit, an intensive outpatient encounter or a partial hospitalization with a mental health practitioner with seven days of discharge.
The Sharp Grossmont team that took care of Jeffrey Christopher in 2008, as well as the top hospital executives in that organization's C-suite, were devastated over this case. They went to great lengths to make changes so deaths to psychiatric patients in their care would never happen again.
I haven't heard that it has. But I look forward to the release of this data. I think it will be a surprise to many hospital caregivers who see for the first time how they compare in their care of psychiatric patients.
Cheryl Clark is senior quality editor and California correspondent for HealthLeaders Media. She is a member of the Association of Health Care Journalists.
- Ratcheting Up Patient Experience Has a Downside
- 'Mega Boards' Could be Rural Healthcare Disruptor
- Narrow Networks Enjoying a Resurgence
- Physicians Trained in High-Cost Regions Spend More
- HL20: Anne Wojcicki—Unlocking Consumer Access to Genetics
- HL20: Lee Aase—Who's Behind @MayoClinic
- Christmas Tree Syndrome Season Underway
- HL20: Tom X. Lee, MD—Reinventing Primary Care
- Population Health Starts with Ending Hunger
- HL20: José Ramón Fernández-Peña, MD, MPA—A Welcoming Approach