Hospital Executives' Leadership Critical to EHR Implementation
"Senior executives can help facilitate the organization's move to an EHR by having high visibility at all meetings. For example, throughout our health system, our EHR journey is a standing agenda item for every meeting. This has been requested by senior leadership and thus motivates those leading other meetings to make sure they have the most current information before their meeting is held. Visibility is also very important, on all shifts. This visibility and rounding reinforces to staff that, yes, this is important and is not just the "project of the day" but truly a care transformation journey."
Mike Hibbard, RN, MHSA, PMP
Central Division, Mercy Health Partners/CHP
"CEOs support change and advocate IT's importance by making sure that quality and patient safety are on the top of the agenda. That is really all they have to do. The EHR and IT's importance becomes a tacit part of the strategy when CEOs tout, espouse, and drive safety and improvement goals?We've been asking the wrong question for years: 'How do we get organizations to support IT and an EHR?' Instead, the right question is, 'What are we doing to make our organizations the safest and most efficient providers of care?' The answer to that is no longer in question."
Richard Lang, EdD
Vice President and CIO
To download The CIO's Guide to Implementing EHRs in the HITECH Era in its entirety, click here.
The College of Healthcare Information Management Executives (CHIME) Foundation has been established to enable providers of H.I.S. products and services to support the educational initiatives of the CHIME organization. The Foundation also serves to educate its member organizations, enabling them to better address the needs of CIOs and the healthcare industry.
- How Top-Ranked MA Plans Earn Their Stars
- Readmissions: No Quick Fix to Costly Hospital Challenge
- How Hospitals Can Become 'Upstreamists'
- 4 Ways to Lower the Cost to Collect from Self-Pay Patients
- House Calls Key to Pioneer ACO Success
- How Telehealth Pays Off for Providers, Patients
- 4 Tips for Managing Employed Physicians
- WellPoint Dominates Nearly Half of Markets, AMA Says
- Defensive Medicine Still Prevalent Despite Tort Reform
- CMS Offers Some ACOs $114M for 'Upfront' Costs