CHIME Certification Gives HIT Leaders a Boost
Once the CIO receives the CHCIO certification, he or she must complete 45 Continuing Education Units in the following three years in order to be eligible for renewal at that time. Half the courses must be taken at CHIME events, but participants can fulfill the other half in various ways, including courses offered at HIMSS or even through your own public speaking.
For those just starting out on the healthcare CIO career path, CHIME also offers 2-1/2-day Healthcare CIO Boot Camp. The next one will be at CHIME's annual conference, October 13-16, 2012 in Indian Wells, California.
Even CHIME can't provide all the technology education required for healthcare leadership. I've been fortunate now to attend two other meccas of insight and inspiration.
The first was HIMSS, last spring in Las Vegas. The second was the 21st Annual Physician-Computer Connection in Ojai, California, sponsored by the Association of Medical Directors of Information Systems (AMDIS).
The AMDIS event was an astounding gathering primarily of CMIOs from around the country. Critical healthcare IT issues, such as EMR usability and clinical decision support, were placed under a microscope and scrutinized for three days. CHIME also had a speaker there to delve into the intricacies of business intelligence.
Chances are you're already taking advantage of some or all of these learning resources. They're just a few of the opportunities available. Many more are online, or may be offered closer to your town. Check them out.
Scott Mace is senior technology editor at HealthLeaders Media.
- 'Mega Boards' Could be Rural Healthcare Disruptor
- 1 in 5 Eligible Hospitals Penalized for HACs
- HL20: Rebecca Katz—Cooking Up Sustainable Nourishment
- Meaningful Use Payment Adjustments Begin
- HL20: Peter Semczuk, DDS, MPH—Taking on the Big Challenges
- PA hospital to pay $662,000 to settle Medicare fraud case
- Supreme Court to hear Obamacare subsidy challenge in March
- How the high cost of medical care is affecting Americans
- HL20: Lee Aase—Who's Behind @MayoClinic
- Dr. Oz gets fact-checked and the results aren't pretty