CHIME Certification Gives HIT Leaders a Boost
Once the CIO receives the CHCIO certification, he or she must complete 45 Continuing Education Units in the following three years in order to be eligible for renewal at that time. Half the courses must be taken at CHIME events, but participants can fulfill the other half in various ways, including courses offered at HIMSS or even through your own public speaking.
For those just starting out on the healthcare CIO career path, CHIME also offers 2-1/2-day Healthcare CIO Boot Camp. The next one will be at CHIME's annual conference, October 13-16, 2012 in Indian Wells, California.
Even CHIME can't provide all the technology education required for healthcare leadership. I've been fortunate now to attend two other meccas of insight and inspiration.
The first was HIMSS, last spring in Las Vegas. The second was the 21st Annual Physician-Computer Connection in Ojai, California, sponsored by the Association of Medical Directors of Information Systems (AMDIS).
The AMDIS event was an astounding gathering primarily of CMIOs from around the country. Critical healthcare IT issues, such as EMR usability and clinical decision support, were placed under a microscope and scrutinized for three days. CHIME also had a speaker there to delve into the intricacies of business intelligence.
Chances are you're already taking advantage of some or all of these learning resources. They're just a few of the opportunities available. Many more are online, or may be offered closer to your town. Check them out.
Scott Mace is senior technology editor at HealthLeaders Media.
- $6.4B Henry Ford, Beaumont Merger Failed on Cultural Hurdles
- Don't Let Nurses Sink Your Bottom Line
- Hospitals Profit On Bloodstream Infections
- Fortunately, Angelina Jolie Isn't On Medicare
- Less Blood Testing for Some Surgeries Safe, Cost Effective
- Lower ED Margins Demand a Better Strategy
- How Chargemaster Data May Affect Hospital Revenue
- Primary Care Docs Average More Hospital Revenue Than Specialists
- House Lawmakers Grill CMS Over Health Exchange Navigators
- ED Physicians Key to Half of Hospital Admissions