Q&A: Analytics-as-a-Service from Deloitte and Intermountain Healthcare
HealthLeaders: Does the fact that you've announced it at the Drug Information Association's 2013 Annual Meeting mean that you're going to see a dominant customer base of pharmaceutical companies, or did that just happen to be the convenient place to launch it? What's the mix of customers likely to be on this?
Davis: It's hard to predict exact customer mix, but there's absolutely demand in the pharmaceutical/biotech and medical device space, because they're facing similar pressures to prove value and compare effectiveness in their products. Going forward, and maybe not as widely known, some pharma are already entering into their equivalent of ACO-like contracts, where instead of just getting reimbursed based on pill volumes, they actually are engaging in helping to make sure that their therapies, diagnostics, etc. actually are creating the value that they say they will. So on the pharma/med device/biotech side, there's absolutely a market for insights from real-world longitudinal data. Similarly, where we're seeing demand on the health systems side is really around systems that are starting down the journey of moving to value-based care, whether that be in the context of formal ACOs (the CMS shared savings program), or whether that is via the context of just trying to become more clinically integrated, recognizing that management of complex, comorbid populations is going to be a differentiator and a necessity in the coming years. We're seeing demand on both sides.
Scott Mace is senior technology editor at HealthLeaders Media.
- New G-Codes to Pay Doctors for Broad Array of Non-Face-to-Face Care
- CMS Sets 2014 Pay Rates for Hospital Outpatient and Physician Services
- Telehealth Improves Patient Care in ICUs
- Hospital M&A Volume Up, Value Down in 3Q
- States Rejecting Medicaid Expansion Forgo Billions in Federal Funds
- Douglas Hawthorne—A Chance to Do Something Big
- 50 Years of Fighting Pressure Ulcers Called Into Question
- Why You Should Involve Patients in Nursing Handoffs
- Nonprofit Hospital Outlook 'Negative' in 2014
- The 5 Biggest Healthcare Finance Trouble Spots