Q&A: Analytics-as-a-Service from Deloitte and Intermountain Healthcare
HealthLeaders: Does the fact that you've announced it at the Drug Information Association's 2013 Annual Meeting mean that you're going to see a dominant customer base of pharmaceutical companies, or did that just happen to be the convenient place to launch it? What's the mix of customers likely to be on this?
Davis: It's hard to predict exact customer mix, but there's absolutely demand in the pharmaceutical/biotech and medical device space, because they're facing similar pressures to prove value and compare effectiveness in their products. Going forward, and maybe not as widely known, some pharma are already entering into their equivalent of ACO-like contracts, where instead of just getting reimbursed based on pill volumes, they actually are engaging in helping to make sure that their therapies, diagnostics, etc. actually are creating the value that they say they will. So on the pharma/med device/biotech side, there's absolutely a market for insights from real-world longitudinal data. Similarly, where we're seeing demand on the health systems side is really around systems that are starting down the journey of moving to value-based care, whether that be in the context of formal ACOs (the CMS shared savings program), or whether that is via the context of just trying to become more clinically integrated, recognizing that management of complex, comorbid populations is going to be a differentiator and a necessity in the coming years. We're seeing demand on both sides.
Scott Mace is senior technology editor at HealthLeaders Media.
- Interventional Radiology No Longer a Sub-Specialty
- NFP Hospitals' Revenue Growth at 'All-Time Low'
- Acute Kidney Injury Gets New Focus
- Transforming Cancer Care
- Half of All Primary Care, Internal Medicine Jobs Unfilled in 2013
- mHealth Tackles Readmissions
- Evidence-Based Practice and Nursing Research: Avoiding Confusion
- CNO Leads $1M Charge for New Scrubs, Uniforms
- Sharp HealthCare Leaves Pioneer ACO Program
- MA an Insurance Proving Ground for Providers