IOM: Cancer Care System in Crisis
6. Expand the depth of data available for assessing interventions.
The NCI should work with other agencies to "develop a common set of data elements that captures patient-reported outcomes, relevant patient characteristics and health behaviors" collected from clinical trials and observational studies.
7. Organizations should develop an ethically sound healthcare information technology system that enables real-time analysis of data from cancer patients in a variety of care settings.
Federal health agencies should support integration of IT systems of cancer and create incentives for clinicians to participate.
8. Develop a national quality reporting program for cancer care.
The Department of Health and Human Services should create a long-term strategy for public reporting of quality measures for cancer care and fund and direct the development of meaningful quality measures, with a focus on performance targets for institutions, practices and individual clinicians.
Accessible and Affordable Cancer Care
9. Reduce disparities in access to cancer care for vulnerable and underserved populations.
HHS should develop a national strategy that leverages existing efforts, supports development of innovative programs, disseminates effective community interventions and provides ongoing support.
10. Improve the affordability of cancer care by leveraging existing efforts to reform payment and eliminate waste.
Professional societies should publicly disseminate evidence-based information about cancer care practices that are unnecessary or where the harm may outweigh benefits. Also, CMS and other payers should develop payment policies that reflect evidence-based findings.
Cheryl Clark is senior quality editor and California correspondent for HealthLeaders Media. She is a member of the Association of Health Care Journalists.
- Transforming Decision Support and Reporting
- Providers Prep for New Payment Models as Population Health Grows
- Nurse Ethics Comes to a Head at Guantanamo Bay
- In Lakeport, CA, a Population Health Laboratory is Born
- CMS Mulls Income-Adjusting MA Stars
- 3 Ways to Rev Employee Development Programs
- Providers' Push to Consolidate Roils Payers
- As Retail Clinics Surge, Quality Metrics MIA
- Slideshow: Healthcare Executives Eye Efficiency
- No Employee Satisfaction, No Patient-Centered Culture