Q&A: Mostashari Reflects as He Prepares to Exit ONC
I don't know where you can get a consultant to come to your practice for $5,000, but if you think that's valuable, then I would hope that they would provide funding to the Regional Extension Centers. And I would hope that if the federal government is able to, and this brings us back to a little bit of our budget discussions, then I believe that it's been a very sound investment of public funds, and it would be, I think, terrific if there was continued support for extension centers beyond Stage 1.
HLM: I've heard many providers are scrambling to meet the "view, download, and transmit" requirement in Stage 2, some going so far as planning to put PCs in the lobbies of their hospitals, so patients will be encouraged to log in there. Other people complain they're in rural districts which have very poor broadband support.
Mostashari: I was just at a roundtable yesterday, and one of the providers was saying, "I can't imagine how we're going to do VDT." The other provider said, "Oh yeah, we met that, no problem. That's easy." And I said, well what do you mean it's easy? What did you do? And she said, "Oh, it's just workflows. We just tell patients, for example, that if they want to talk to us, the best way to do it instead of trying to leave a message is to message us on the portals. We said, if you want to get your lab values, go to the portal. We say, if you want to get your summary from this visit, go to the portal. And we make sure they have their user ID and their password when they leave. And that works." So it's all a question of implementation and workflows.
Scott Mace is senior technology editor at HealthLeaders Media.
- Antibiotic Overuse a 'Huge Threat' to Patient Safety, Says CDC
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- Consumerism Drives Healthcare Branding, Rebranding Efforts
- CHS Hacked, 4.5M Patient Records Compromised
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- Business Roundup: M&A Activity Down Slightly in First Half of 2014
- CFO Exchange: Healthcare Leaders Share 5 Innovative Ideas
- Large Employers Trimming Healthcare Spending
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- 3 Things the Ice Bucket Challenge Can Teach Hospital Marketers