Q&A: Mostashari Reflects as He Prepares to Exit ONC
I don't know where you can get a consultant to come to your practice for $5,000, but if you think that's valuable, then I would hope that they would provide funding to the Regional Extension Centers. And I would hope that if the federal government is able to, and this brings us back to a little bit of our budget discussions, then I believe that it's been a very sound investment of public funds, and it would be, I think, terrific if there was continued support for extension centers beyond Stage 1.
HLM: I've heard many providers are scrambling to meet the "view, download, and transmit" requirement in Stage 2, some going so far as planning to put PCs in the lobbies of their hospitals, so patients will be encouraged to log in there. Other people complain they're in rural districts which have very poor broadband support.
Mostashari: I was just at a roundtable yesterday, and one of the providers was saying, "I can't imagine how we're going to do VDT." The other provider said, "Oh yeah, we met that, no problem. That's easy." And I said, well what do you mean it's easy? What did you do? And she said, "Oh, it's just workflows. We just tell patients, for example, that if they want to talk to us, the best way to do it instead of trying to leave a message is to message us on the portals. We said, if you want to get your lab values, go to the portal. We say, if you want to get your summary from this visit, go to the portal. And we make sure they have their user ID and their password when they leave. And that works." So it's all a question of implementation and workflows.
Scott Mace is senior technology editor at HealthLeaders Media.
- As Medicare Advantage Cuts Loom, Disagreement Over Program's Stability
- 3 Management Lessons from a Supermarket Debacle
- Medicare Advantage Carriers See 'No Choice' But to Accept Cuts
- Physicians to Appeal 'Docs v. Glocks' Ruling in FL
- CA Fines 8 Hospitals for Medical Errors
- Centralizing the Revenue Cycle Protects the Bottom Line
- Revenue Cycles Get a Boost from Simple JPEG Files
- IOM Identifies GME Problems, Calls for Finance Changes
- Employers Weigh Risks, Benefits of Private Exchanges
- Doctors Feel Pressure to Accept Risk-based Reimbursement