CHIME Certification Gives HIT Leaders a Boost
Once the CIO receives the CHCIO certification, he or she must complete 45 Continuing Education Units in the following three years in order to be eligible for renewal at that time. Half the courses must be taken at CHIME events, but participants can fulfill the other half in various ways, including courses offered at HIMSS or even through your own public speaking.
For those just starting out on the healthcare CIO career path, CHIME also offers 2-1/2-day Healthcare CIO Boot Camp. The next one will be at CHIME's annual conference, October 13-16, 2012 in Indian Wells, California.
Even CHIME can't provide all the technology education required for healthcare leadership. I've been fortunate now to attend two other meccas of insight and inspiration.
The first was HIMSS, last spring in Las Vegas. The second was the 21st Annual Physician-Computer Connection in Ojai, California, sponsored by the Association of Medical Directors of Information Systems (AMDIS).
The AMDIS event was an astounding gathering primarily of CMIOs from around the country. Critical healthcare IT issues, such as EMR usability and clinical decision support, were placed under a microscope and scrutinized for three days. CHIME also had a speaker there to delve into the intricacies of business intelligence.
Chances are you're already taking advantage of some or all of these learning resources. They're just a few of the opportunities available. Many more are online, or may be offered closer to your town. Check them out.
Scott Mace is senior technology editor at HealthLeaders Media.
- MU Compliance Announcement Sparks Concern, Confusion
- New G-Codes to Pay Doctors for Broad Array of Non-Face-to-Face Care
- Scary Financial Challenges for 2014
- MGMA Urges 'End-to-End' ICD-10 Testing
- 1 in 5 CT Screenings for Lung Cancer Results in Overdiagnosis
- Telehealth Improves Patient Care in ICUs
- CMS Sets 2014 Pay Rates for Hospital Outpatient and Physician Services
- LifePoint Bolsters Presence in Michigan's Upper Peninsula
- States Rejecting Medicaid Expansion Forgo Billions in Federal Funds
- Douglas Hawthorne—A Chance to Do Something Big