For the second time in three years, a University of Kansas Hospital cancer patient has received tainted platelets from the Community Blood Center. In the first case, the patient died within 48 hours after receiving a transfusion laced with E. coli bacteria. In the second instance, which occurred Oct. 13, the patient spent days on a respirator and nearly died. The FDA's regional office visited KU's blood bank last week and has reviewed the Community Blood Center's policies. KU's transfusion committee also will review the hospital’s platelet safety procedures. The hospital will bring in national experts to review its blood safety policies.