Some Nurses Blue Over Color-Coded Uniform Policy

The Minnesota Nurses Association has filed a grievance against Allina Hospitals & Clinics over a color-coded uniform requirement. The health system says it has patients in mind, but does the policy violate labor contracts?

9 comments on "Some Nurses Blue Over Color-Coded Uniform Policy"
sharon (2/10/2014 at 9:54 PM)

I feel like I am a professional and I should be able and allowed to choose the color I wish to wear, I believe employee satisfaction leads to greater patient satisfaction and my employer treating me like a child and showing no respect or regard for my satisfaction does not lead to anything but resentment. I announce who I am when I enter the room (AIDET), I have a name badge identifying who I am and I truly do not believe that my uniform color will do anything to improve any part of my patients satisfaction.
Kari (4/27/2012 at 7:26 PM)

The last hospital I worked in had colored coded scrubs for different entities: RN, NA's, RT, Radiology, etc.. It was actually wonderful and the patients and families were very satisfied. It also helped staff to recognized each other as well.
Linda (4/27/2012 at 11:34 AM)

They should be allowed to wear what they want! NAMETAGS say WHO they are & WHAT they do!!!! Ex:LPN-how much simpler can one get???
grace (4/27/2012 at 5:41 AM)

Could be a good change but the Allina is not willing to pay for their mandated decision. $40 for a "starter set"? Bought 2 bottoms and 1 top. Anyone in public service is given a stipend for their uniforms...more like $200-500 very 4-6 months...and believe me nurses live paycheck to paycheck like the rest of the country. Truly pathetic.
Marcia (4/26/2012 at 8:42 PM)

Will the color of the uniform really have an impact on the nursing care that is delivered on a daily basis? Good nursing care is not decided on a color, it's the person in the uniform no matter what color it is.
Steve Bellistri (4/26/2012 at 11:12 AM)

Much to do about nothing... If the staff are informed and understand the union should stand behind their members not try to push a political agenda.
ANGELA (4/25/2012 at 2:22 PM)

I think this is a good thing. We already have this in place in the hospital I work in and it has been a postive thing. Everyone accepted the change without being childish about.
Denise S (4/24/2012 at 3:03 PM)

Kudos to Alina Hospitals and Clinics for listening to their patients and following through on ways that make it easier for patients and families to be in their health care settings. I am also pleased to see that nurses will easily be differentiated from other clinical staff and I hope this will help to give them the recognition they so deserve. A big thank you to the nurses who make this change willingly or with kicking and screaming. I hope they will experience the rewards that other nurses, who have gone to a uniform color in the interest of patient centeredness, have enjoyed.
Denise B. (4/23/2012 at 3:02 PM)

If making the patients happy is the priority, then nurses should wear white. I worked for one hospital where all floor nurses (ED, ICU, and OR were exceptions) wore white and the patients LOVED it. I found the amount of laundry it generated to be a bit of a challenge, but c'est la vie. At hospitals where I wore scrubs, I avoided the whole "are you my nurse or the housekeeper?" problem by wearing a white coat and a stethoscope. At minimum, I ALWAYS wore my badge identifying me as a RN. Never having worked for a union shop, I didn't have the opportunity to stomp my feet and yell about the dress code. If this is their biggest problem at work, they are fortunate indeed.