Would You Hire a Deaf Nurse?

A nursing school boots out a deaf student over concerns that her hearing loss would limit her ability to safely perform clinical rotations. Nonsense, says the Association of Medical Professionals with Hearing Losses.

9 comments on "Would You Hire a Deaf Nurse?"
Andrea lopez (10/24/2013 at 6:22 PM)

I would like that if you hire a deaf medical assistance and i already have medical assistance certification.
Elisabeth (9/10/2013 at 11:57 AM)

My elderly mother's PCP is deaf and this individual does a fabulous job of accomodating and tending to her needs. I admire this individual greatly for having the courage to pursue their dreams. It is a non issue for us when I take my mother for her appointments. What this college did is down right WRONG and a violation of this individual civil rights. I hope she wins her case and pursues her dream. Best of luck to you.
Suella Thrasher (8/26/2013 at 11:14 AM)

Many hostile comments recorded. This would be a great assignment in a masters program-when I completed my MSN, I had to develop a teaching plan for an autistic student. At first I said to myslef "no way"; but I learned a lot. At the acute bedside (my background) hearing is necessary I think..how can you hear behind you...a code paged overhead..hubbub in a unit..other nurses could adjust to the disability but it would be quite a challenge. Don't know that it's impossible but certainly a serious challenge. There are other places for nurses (auditing for example) but those are best served with experience...bottom line...i don't know...
Sue (8/25/2013 at 1:22 AM)

Nurses who are deaf would probably be able to lipread those you can't hear, who are trying to tell you something, but cannot get the words out. They are also able to work with those who are deaf and you are not. They would be more likely to notice a light come on than you would because you are used to hearing it all the time. Maybe not, it goes both ways. If you are helping each other as nurses, you get a lot more accomplished than if you are putting one down who has one type of disability. The person who did not want to be on with a person who was deaf or hire a person who was deaf did not know she had a more disabling attitude. She better hope deafness is not one of the problems she has to cope with later in life. It will be rather devastating, I would imagine. I have become hearing-impaired and I have been around it all my life.
Paddy (8/24/2013 at 10:27 AM)

I am a hearing impaired RN and have had numerous clinical and non clinical positions as a nurse and also as a certified case manager. Nursing school was difficult for me without the assistance of the hearing aids that I now wear. Shame on you that paint us with a broad brush! "Deaf indeed" Nursing is MUCH more than bedside / clinical hands on care. The right to pursue nursing as a career and perhaps change the profession is for EVERYONE!
MargA-T (8/23/2013 at 2:24 PM)

Zoe, I understand that 36 millions of Deaf & hard of hearing people use sign language. Deaf nurse can communicate with deaf eldery who lives in Group home for medical issues. You have no right to say to Deaf Nurse if she want to became and she can working at Nursing home for Deaf and Hard of hearing. No matter what kind of she studies. You simple clueless about deaf and hard of hearing often getting lack of educating from medical itself and doing their medicine attention. My mother was RN nurse she say Very hard to work to archives success for some kind of situation. Jessica's dream should not be barrier. The school failed to tell her and why removed her class that she could not able to enrolling .. it is her right. not YOUR mind of business!! Don't screw up with her dream. It should not destroy her dream. PERIOD!
marilyn elliott (8/23/2013 at 11:52 AM)

Yes this is definitely discrimination! I know what exactly she is going thru. I went thru LPN school hard of hearing and I have been working in the healthcare field for 30 years. I am hard of hearing but I still love my job and do the best work than any CNA will ever do! As long as she knows what she is doing that hire a deaf nurse!!
Zoe (8/23/2013 at 10:02 AM)

No! I would not hire a deaf nurse for any position that required direct patient contact. I have two deaf nephews whom I love dearly, but they need help with just living much less having another persons life in their hands. This would also place an unfair burden on the co-workers who would be obligated to oversee and have oversight of the patient in their care. Also, as a patient, would you want you or your loved one to be at risk of the one time that co-workers were all busy with their own patients and were unable to hear the alarms or see rhythms on a screen when this nurse was unable to respond to that alarm. Are we going to ask the patient (for liability reasons) if they are willing to have a deaf nurse care for them?? This will bring undue liability to any hospital that allows a deaf nurse to work in their facility. I, for one Acute Care Nurse, do not want the responsibility of adding another nurses responsibilities on my shoulders and possibly put myself at risk for a lawsuit based on my inability to care for my own patients as well as watch over another nurses patients, because she/he has a disability. I am very sympathetic to her situation, but also don't appreciate her trying to obtain something that would clearly put at risk an already at risk patient as well as the hospital, co-workers, and herself.
William D. Goren (8/23/2013 at 9:03 AM)

Readers of this article may be interested in a blog entry of mine on the very issues raised in this article. That blog entry can be found at http://www.williamgoren.com/blog/2013/07/29/ada-compliance-auditing-higher-education/#comment-31972