Doctors in Residency Fail Tests of Common Courtesy

Interns observed interacting with hospitalized patients exhibited five basic behaviors associated with etiquette-based medicine during only 4% of all encounters.

7 comments on "Doctors in Residency Fail Tests of Common Courtesy"
Pamela D. Simons, MD, MBA, FACOG (10/31/2013 at 11:03 PM)

Given the time limitations of service pressure, the frequent lack of a place to sit down, especially in patient rooms, and the emphasis on EHR, which slows down documentation and prevents eye contact, none of this is surprising. Most residents went into medicine to care for and "be with" patients, but the system increasingly prevents this. It was hard enough 20 years ago when I was in training. Now, it's near-impossible. The practice of medicine increasingly resembles working the front counter at McDonald's. Every layer of administrative demand forced on clinicians increases the cost of providing care and forces us to work faster and gives us less time to think or "be with" our patients in order to generate the same compensation.
JS (10/30/2013 at 2:51 PM)

Healthcare is a customer service business, like it or not. In the event of a poor outcome, the provider who showed genuine caring and concern throughout his/her relationship with the patient is less likely to face a law suit than the provider with poor bedside manner. Treat me well as a patient, yeah I probably won't advertise that to all of my friends, but treat me rudely or make me feel like my issue is unimportant, then I will tell all my friends.
Robert Modugno MD MBA FACOG (10/29/2013 at 4:03 PM)

We are a rude society. I am not surprised.
pk (10/29/2013 at 2:27 PM)

This is a ridiculous standard. 1) Are attorneys courteous or responsive to client needs? they respond to the highest bidder. 2) the criticism of doctors on the internet is way of base in most cases. 3)With EMR in place, doctors have less time for eye contact, patient exams and answering questions.
Teri Sanor, MD (10/26/2013 at 1:14 PM)

Thanks. I agree of the importance of these simple steps. In the end, it saves time and lives. Much of the problem lies in our disconnected care of patients. Doctors, nurses, educators, regulators should insist on collaboration in a way that makes sense instead of useless regulations that add to the avalanche of repetitive data bombarding the care-givers. Interns, residents, attendings only have a couple of hours on rounds so it is very difficult, yet still worth the time to do. Overhaul of our broken system would help. Sometimes there are 6 H&Ps, 40 pages of useless information with 2 lines of key data hidden within it. In this inefficient system, asking open-ended questions can mean even less time for the next patient, less time to hunt down the abnormal data, no time for lunch, etc. It's both individuals taking the few minutes with patients and the broken system that need changed.
Susan (10/25/2013 at 3:54 PM)

Doctors at teaching hospitals are rude? You don't say? Maybe this objective evidence will help convince the STAFF at teaching hospitals they are rude. However, if you have ever been unfortunate enough to find yourself in one of these esteemed institutions the results of this study pretty much fall under the category of "The Science of Studying the Obvious".
s daniels (10/24/2013 at 12:13 PM)

didn't need a research study to confirm this...ask any nurse.