Google Glass Passes IRB Muster, Assists in Cardiothoracic Surgeries

Surgeons are justifiably excited by the possibilities of using Google Glass in the operating room. Despite Wi-Fi hurdles, privacy concerns, and speech recognition issues, this device will inevitably become another indispensable tool in healthcare.

7 comments on "Google Glass Passes IRB Muster, Assists in Cardiothoracic Surgeries"
Frank Poggio (12/3/2013 at 8:40 PM)

Mr. Kottners comment is interesting, but seems to relate to a teaching situation. Seems to me unless GG is less expensive than a video cam with Inet transmission, where's the real savings? I am sure it's cool to wear a camera on your head...but the ROI?
NHtraumadoc (12/3/2013 at 3:15 PM)

The solution you use of scrubbing patient ID off of images that are being used real-time for patient care is a dangerous one. We must always know that we are looking at the correct patient's data when we use it for patient care. It would be impossible to know whose xray is being displayed if it is anonymous. That should be a concern of the IRB if it hasn't been addressed.
Christian Assad Kottner (12/2/2013 at 5:53 PM)

I was recently involved in a procedure in which we were transmitting a PFO closure with an amplatzer device with Google glass. The telementor was an expert in the subject and he gave us priceless adgice. In addition this was the first time the procedure was being performed in the university. His advice proved to be extremely useful
James Michael (12/2/2013 at 5:37 PM)

It is not only surgeons. Interventional Cardiologists are now the first to show a real proof of concept.http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnnosta/2013/11/27/visionary-google-glass-moves-from-concept-to-clinical-care/
scottmace (11/27/2013 at 12:31 PM)

Frank, after the 15 surgeries are completed, UCSF will write up its findings and submit them to a peer-reviewed journal. They know benefits have to be clearly sought and found. But as I point out early on, there's definitely a marketing factor at work too.
Denise Silber (11/26/2013 at 5:43 PM)

Great article about Google Glass. We'll be covering the subject in Paris in June, 2014 at Doctors 2.0 & You. Given how fast the subject is moving, I'm wondering if other contributors have any thoughts of how we should plan to treat it. We'll be bringing in at least two Google Explorers, one Dutch surgeon and one US nurse and the audience will include patients, industry, government, insurors.
Frank Poggio (11/26/2013 at 4:44 PM)

In all these stories I have read about Google Glass, including this one, I have yet to hear how GG will either save money, increase revenues, or improve patient care. Now I am not a physician but in my career in healthcare I have spent some time in ORs and still can't see the real benefit here. In a teaching situation I can see how it could be helpful to the interns/med students, but that's a not a cost saving. I am afraid we are all getting spun up in the Google hype. Does anyone have any real world examples of real benefit?? As a former hospital CFO I'd love to hear them.