Physicians Rail at Recertification Requirements

Medical doctors are facing revamped board recertification requirements that are "expensive, burdensome, and detract from the care of the patient," says David Fleming, president of the American College of Physicians.

9 comments on "Physicians Rail at Recertification Requirements"
Daniel Ramirez (9/16/2014 at 5:10 PM)

Connie, I hope you can forgive my impertinence, but it does not surprise me that you are a... nurse coordinator? ... What board do you sit on? Are you really down here in the mud with the rest of us taking care of PATIENTS on a daily basis? Or do you come down from your desk job perch from time to time to dictate to others?
Daniel Ramirez (9/16/2014 at 5:06 PM)

As a physician I try hard to do the right thing by my patients - ALWAYS. I take pride in my work, and am willing to abide by the rules. But I know a rat when I smell one. You mean to tell me that after ALL of my years of schooling, training, test taking... my board-certification, reimbursement, good standing in my profession, and perhaps even my LICENSE is being held hostage by non-practicing bureaucrat physicians? Unless I play by their silly rules that have ZERO CREDIBLE EVIDENCE to making me a better doctor???? Sirs and Madams in your ivory towers: you can all go straight to hell. This is a SCAM.
Paul Kempen, MD, PhD (7/7/2014 at 12:36 PM)

Ms Clark has actively supported the positions of the ABIM, which is a private corporation recently having invented MOC for their own corporate profits, certification already costing currently $400 million a year in gross receipts and paying their CEO salaries as high as $1.2 million in 2009. They have not been able to demonstrate Certification improves care, yet alone that MOC impacts care in outcome based study. They have even authored and published in 2002 an attempt at meta-analysis to prove Certification matters-but found this was impossible due to the poor quality of all prior studies, describing the "proof" as a "missing link" in the title (Sharp LK, Bashook PG, Lipsky MS, Horowitz SD, Miller SH. Specialty board certification and clinical outcomes: the missing link. Acad Med 2002;77:534–42). The assumption that doctors are not "up to date" is further unfounded, as life long learning is essential to continue in practice and obtain state licenses. The fact that numerous state and national oversight mechanisms exist is ignored, as Ms Clark choses to support the ABMS to be her particular brand of reassurance-as unfounded as that is. I pointed repeatedly to ABMS written articles confirming there is a lack of evidence to support certification and their MOC program, while studying and publishing comprehensive reports to the contrary (Kempen PM. Maintenance of certification and licensure: regulatory capture of medicine. Anesth Analg. 2014 Jun;118(6):1378-86. ) as have others. As for practice improvement modules: These include changing patient care without patients being informed of any risks, costs or dangers-while the sole purpose is for a doctor to personally profit=MOC re-certification. Research for personal benefit and without informed consent was internationally outlawed after WWII by the Nuremberg laws and subsequently validated among all civilized societies by the Helsinki declarations. Society DEMANDS that informed consent be required and that safety and review be assured for every patient in any experiemental setting. Validation of physician competence IS already being verified by multiple agencies including hospital and state medical boards who DO have practice authority, which the ABMS does not have. We do not provide free license to anyone to experiment with human life. This is exactly what the ABMS is forcing, while actually doing nothing to insure physician quality. Next time you go to your doctor ask him if he is MOC compliant and including you in his personal profiting MOC experiment. Be sure to ask what YOUR risks and costs will be to assure the ABMS that he is practicing medicine in YOUR and not the ABMS's best interest!
John Bakos (6/25/2014 at 10:45 PM)

In almost 20 years of clinical internal medicine practice, I have never been asked by any patient if I was boarded or if I re-certified. Another money making scheme by administrators to separate rubes (us) from our increasingly limited resources.
Jonathan Weiss (6/24/2014 at 12:15 AM)

I am a veteran of MOC, having done MOC x 3 in the 1990s (IM, pulmonary and CC). 2 years ago, I started the process again and completed MOC in IM, at which point the nagging concerns I had in the 1990s doubting the benefit of MOC to me or my patients crystalized into an epiphany. MOC is a money making scam for the Boards and yet another method of subjugating doctors that is becoming increasingly more onerous, time consuming and costly while also becoming more irrelevant and a distraction from more applicable self-directed CMEs. Time to wake up docs, and fight this, or we will be in chains forever. Strongly suggest you take a look here: http://www.changeboardrecert.com/index.php
Daniel W Fosburgh M.D. (6/21/2014 at 10:30 PM)

Observe 1) Most hospitals require Board Certification to be privileged 2) Some (mine) revoke privileges within 90 days of failing 3) Failure to pass means no income, no job 4) 11 of 12 of the ABIM members of the Board of Directors are grand fathered. None of the 11 take the Internal Medicine boards. Plan 1)Change ABIM bylaws such that any member of the board must pass the internal medicine board or they will lose their position within 90 days The board must be exposed to the same level of pressure as those of us in the trenches. If anyone reads this and has the ability to bring it to fruition I implore you to do so.
Stephen (6/20/2014 at 8:09 PM)

Doctors do not have enough time to see patients these days with the decreasing reimbursements from insurance companies. They have to see more patient's to break even. It is unfortunate that the people that make these policies do not really practice medicine, all they do is sit in their academic world and offices to make such ridiculous rules. What will happen if all the MDs boycott the re certification board exams for 2 decades to force these folks at the board to truly listen and look at the reality on ground. We have a new health care Law which we are yet to fully understand what impact it will have on the practice of medicine, and there are not enough MDs especially in the rural communities, that the country has resulted to less trained NPs to fill in the gap. The MDs these days have no social life other than to work, work, work as if we are not human beings. There should be a balance in life for healthy living. We educate our patients on healthy lifestyle but we do not practice the same. The cumulative effect is less attraction of the best brains to medicine due to the nu-necessary rigors which do not really prove the proficiency of a doctor. We spend more time these days documenting and doing paper work than actually taking care of a patient. We are beginning to see a situation where more dumb people are making important decisions in health care especially with the insurance companies deciding what and what not to do for patients without going to medical school.
S Daniels (6/20/2014 at 11:24 AM)

In early 1996 fewer than 1 in 10 internists treated ulcers with antibacterial therapy. This practice persisted for many years despite the research published in 1991 concluding that "an antimicrobial strategy that included eradication of H. pylori should be the first choice for the initial treatment of duodenal ulcer disease." Physician arrogance and inertia jeopardized patient care by ignoring this finding which is now standard protocol for treating ulcers. The continued arrogance of the ACP in stating that re-certification will "detract from the care of the patient" is, in my view, the pinnacle of physician arrogance and the reason why the medical profession is no longer held in esteem.
Connie EdD RN CNOR (6/20/2014 at 9:29 AM)

This is a great idea. I am surprised of the backlash. Medicine and technology are changing at breakneck speed and we all need to be ready for the future to give safe, reliable care. Nurses have been doing this for years and holistically care for patients in all areas of medicine. The important aspect, of course is education based on research and evidence. Working with MDs and surgeons who do not keep up with changes and continue to treat patients with archaic medical practices is disturbing and does more harm than good in making informed decisions about care.