To win an Everest Award, a hospital must not only rank in the Top 100 but also rank among the top for rate-of-improvement over five years.
IBM Watson Health published a list Monday of its 100 Top Hospitals® for 2018, using publicly available data for 2,740 short-term, acute care, non-federal hospitals to identify top performers on a variety of quality metrics.
"The country's best hospitals have proven that an unrelenting focus on quality, supported by constant measurement against peer performance benchmarks, can drive improved outcomes while reducing costs and growing profit margins," Jean Chenoweth, an IBM Watson Health senior vice president, said in a statement.
Among those that made the list, 13 were named Everest Award winners. The additional honor is bestowed on those that, in addition to ranking among the top for current performance, also rank among the fastest-improving over five years.
The winners of this year's Everest Awards are as follows:
- Advocate Sherman Hospital in Elgin, Illinois — large community hospital
- Banner - University Medical Center South in Tucson, Arizona — major teaching hospital
- Beaumont Hospital - Grosse Pointe in Grosse Pointe, Michigan — teaching hospital
- BSA Health System in Amarillo, Texas — teaching hospital
- Butler Memorial Hospital in Butler, Pennsylvania — large community hospital
- Cone Health in Greensboro, North Carolina — teaching hospital
- East Liverpool City Hospital in East Liverpool, Ohio — small community hospital
- Mercy Health - St. Rita's Medical Center in Lima, Ohio — large community hospital
- Mercy Hospital Oklahoma City in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma — large community hospital
- Mount Carmel St. Ann's in Westerville, Ohio — teaching hospital
- Sentara Leigh Hospital in Norfolk, Virginia — teaching hospital
- Spectrum Health Zeeland Community Hospital in Zeeland, Michigan — small community hospital
- St. Joseph's Hospital in Tampa, Florida — large community hospital
The full list of IBM Watson Health's 100 Top Hospitals—formerly known as the Truven Health Analytics® 100 Top Hospitals—is available in the company's announcement.
More information on the study is available at www.100tophospitals.com.
Steven Porter is an associate content manager and Strategy editor for HealthLeaders, a Simplify Compliance brand.