The entire list of proposed changes to ICD-10-CM/PCS codes is available in tables 6A-6K and 6P.1a-6P.4a of the rule.
A version of this article was first published May 18, 2020, by HCPro's Revenue Cycle Advisor, a sibling publication to HealthLeaders.
CMS released the fiscal year (FY) 2020 Inpatient Prospective Payment System (IPPS) proposed rule May 11, which includes just shy of 600 ICD-10-CM code changes. Proposed changes include 490 code additions, 47 revisions, and 58 invalidations, slated to go into effect October 1.
The proposed changes include new ICD-10-CM codes in the following categories:
- D57, sickle-cell disorders
- D89, other disorders involving the immune mechanism, not elsewhere classified
- F19, other psychoactive substance related disorders, as well as categories F10-F15
- H18, other disorders of cornea
- M05, rheumatoid arthritis with rheumatoid factor
- M06, other rheumatoid arthritis
- M08, juvenile arthritis
- M19, other and unspecified osteoarthritis
- R51, headache
- S20, superficial injury of thorax
- T40, poisoning by, adverse effect of and underdosing of narcotics and psychodysleptics (hallucinogens)
- V00-V06 for electric scooter and other micro-mobility pedestrian conveyance injuries
Proposed ICD-10-CM code deletions include:
- Some H18 corneal dystrophy codes because of the proposed expanded additions
- R51 because of proposed specified headache additions
- Some T40 codes for poisoning due to proposed specified additions
Proposed revised ICD-10-CM codes include:
- Z68 (body mass index) codes relating to both adult and pediatric body mass index
- Z88 (allergy status to drugs, medicaments, and biological substances) codes
Revenue Cycle Advisor combines all of HCPro's Medicare regulatory and reimbursement resources into one handy and easy-to-access portal. News is not just repeated from other sources. It is analyzed by our Medicare experts so professionals can comprehend any new rule and regulatory updates thoroughly. Learn more.