The RexPay app is one of 10 awardees in the Arizona Commerce Authority's fall 2019 round of the Arizona Innovation Challenge.
In response to the problem of multiple, confusing medical bills, one consumer has taken matters into her own hands and has gotten an innovation award to help develop the solution further.
The RexPay app, which aims to help consumers organize, track, and pay multiple medical bills, is one of 10 awardees in the Arizona Commerce Authority's fall 2019 round of the Arizona Innovation Challenge.
The award announcement came just weeks after RexPay's public launch in November.
RexPay counts as its advisors several healthcare industry experts, including Bob Allen of Athenahealth; Mick Murray, former Blue Shield of California CFO; and Lily Chang, CTO of Medsphere, among others.
According to the app's Apple App Store description, it allows patients to:
- Organize and manage multiple bills by snapping a photo of the bills with their smartphone's camera
- Track insurance deductible and out of pocket maximum by taking a photo of their insurance card
- Track bill due dates and get payment reminders
- Access payment plan options
- Pay doctors within the app
- Understand their bills with the help of the Ask Rex chatbot
RexPay's website also has a section devoted to providers, inviting them to partner with them in order to get paid faster and boost patient satisfaction.
Health systems are very much aware of the patient confusion that can stem from having multiple medical bills from different offices—sometimes for the same appointment or episode of care—which is why many of them have moved or plan to move to the single statement and single business office model.
Alexandra Wilson Pecci is an editor for HealthLeaders.