Value-based anchors are among the company's expansion strategies.
As the ACA marketplace grows, so does Cigna's nearly decade-long presence in it. For plan year (PY) 2023, the insurer will expand its geographic and $0 footprints along with increased affordability and accessibility for labs, prescription drugs, virtual care, and wellness incentives.
- Products expand to three new state and 50 new counties. Cigna's new markets will include Indiana, South Carolina, and Texas, putting the payer in 16 states total. This growth is rooted in Georgia, Mississippi, and North Carolina and brings Cigna's county total to 363.
- Growth anchored in local, value-based care (VBC). In a comment to HealthLeaders regarding its expansion strategy, Cigna representatives said: "We choose new markets based on where we have strong provider partnerships that enable us to offer local plans that meet our customers' unique needs and deliver affordable care and superior health outcomes."
The company added: "In those areas, a majority of our anchor providers are in value-based arrangements that truly connect care for those we serve. This approach has enabled us to maintain a continuous presence on the individual exchange since inception in 2014–one of the few national carriers to do so."
- Anytime virtual PCP visits, plus other telehealth specialties. In its press release, Cigna notes: "New for 2023, members will have access to MDLIVE's primary care physician network for routine visits via video at any time." MDLIVE also includes virtual dermatology, behavioral health, wellness screenings, and even urgent-acute care—the latter two for a $0 copay.
- Zero-dollar and first-dollar benefits continue to grow. Cigna will offer more $0 options for deductibles, copays, and select preferred generics while offering "first-dollar" coverage for outpatient lab exams independent of deductible requirements.
- Walgreens anchors the plan's retail prescription drug network. Through the Walgreens Advantage Network, most members can fill 30 and 90-day prescription quantities.
- Cigna among the plans capping insulin costs. Cigna's Patient Assurance Program offers insulin at $25 per month for a 30-day supply.
- Up to $325 in annual wellness incentives. For customers 18 and older, Cigna is offering a Take Control Rewards program.
About the company's 2023 ACA Marketplace offerings, Cigna's president of Individual and Family Plans, Lisa Lough, states: "From anytime-access to virtual care to $0 wellness screenings and personalized support for chronic condition management, Cigna's plans are designed to meet customers wherever they are on their health care journey and provide the care and coverage they value most."
Lough adds: "By continuing to expand and enhance our individual and family plans, more people will have access to quality, affordable care that supports whole-person health."
Open Enrollment for 2023 ACA Marketplace plans is from November 1, 2022 through January 15, 2023.
Laura Beerman is a contributing writer for HealthLeaders.