Calif. approves average 14% Wellpoint rate hike
California regulators on Wednesday approved WellPoint Inc's (WLP.N) plan to raise rates for individual health insurance policies by an average of 14 percent, after errors were found in the company's original rate hike request. An initial bid by WellPoint's Anthem Blue Cross unit for an average 25 percent rate increase for around 600,000 policyholders drew heavy criticism earlier this year from Democrats as they rallied support for the recently passed U.S. healthcare reform law. WellPoint, the largest U.S. health insurer by membership, said it intends to put the new rates—with increases as high as 20 percent—into effect Oct. 1.
- Interventional Radiology No Longer a Sub-Specialty
- NFP Hospitals' Revenue Growth at 'All-Time Low'
- Acute Kidney Injury Gets New Focus
- Transforming Cancer Care
- Half of All Primary Care, Internal Medicine Jobs Unfilled in 2013
- Evidence-Based Practice and Nursing Research: Avoiding Confusion
- mHealth Tackles Readmissions
- CNO Leads $1M Charge for New Scrubs, Uniforms
- Sharp HealthCare Leaves Pioneer ACO Program
- MA an Insurance Proving Ground for Providers