3 State Hospital Associations Form Safety Pact
"The partnership allows us to continue implementing innovations necessary to achieve goals to prevent harm, save lives and lower healthcare costs."
Over the next three years, Great Lakes Partners hospitals will focus on 11 inpatient safety concerns:
- Adverse drug events
- Central line-associated blood stream infections
- Catheter-associated urinary tract infections
- Clostridium difficile bacterial infection, including antibiotic stewardship
- Injury from falls and immobility
- Pressure ulcers
- Sepsis and septic shock
- Surgical site infections
- Venous thromboembolism
- Ventilator-associated events
Through 2019, the goal is a 20% decrease in overall patient harm and a 12% reduction in 30-day hospital readmissions as a population-based measure from the 2014 baseline. CMS will monitor and evaluate the HIINs to ensure that they are working.