This is the key thing with MRP and looking at evidence-based practice, she says.
"Nurses want to be recognized as a professional discipline in control of our own practice," she says. "Evidence-based practice can help all nurses regardless of where they are to help them improve."
Examples of evidence-based practice projects:
- Developing a rapid response team to decrease incidents of code blue outside the ICU
- Evaluating appropriate clinical parameters for placement and removal of urinary catheters
- Instituting a hand hygiene educational video for visitors in the NICU
- Discussing how to determine whether chlorhexidine is a more effective skin antiseptic than other cleansing agents in preventing probable peripheral IV catheter-related infection
- Developing an orientation on hospitalization for patients and families and monitoring its effect on patient satisfaction
- Evaluating an inservice intervention aimed at increasing the use of alternatives to restraints
- Assessing adequacy of pain treatment in first 24 hours postoperatively
- Determining how you can promote smoking cessation
This article was adapted from one that originally appeared in the February 2010 issue of HCPro's Advisor to the ANCC Magnet Recognition Program®, an HCPro publication.