U.S. News & World Report's rankings, now in their 29th year, compare more than 4,500 hospitals nationwide in 25 specialties, procedures and conditions.
For the third consecutive year, Mayo Clinic sits atop the Honor Roll of the nation's top hospitals, as ranked by U.S. News & World Report.
"We are humbled and honored by our ranking with U.S. News & World Report," said Gianrico Farrugia, MD, the CEO of Mayo Clinic in Florida. Farrugia was named CEO-elect of the prestigious Rochester, Minnesota-based health system last week.
"We have continuously refined our system of care for more than 150 years. We are always working to deliver accurate answers as quickly as possible and ensure the best outcomes for our patients," Farrugia said.
Honor Roll designation is awarded to 20 hospitals that U.S. News said demonstrate high-level care in multiple areas. After Mayo, the other prestigious hospitals and medical centers on this year's Honor Roll either stood pat or shuffled a few spots up and down from the rankings of previous years.
Here’s the 2018-19 Best Hospitals Honor Roll. The numbers in parentheses are the 2017-18 rankings.
- Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN (1)
- Cleveland Clinic (2)
- Johns Hopkins Hospital (3)
- Massachusetts General Hospital (4)
- University of Michigan Hospitals-Michigan Medicine (6)
- UCSF Medical Center, San Francisco (5)
- UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles (7)
- Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles (11)
- Stanford Health Care-Stanford Hospital. (9)
- New York-Presbyterian Hospital-Columbia, Cornell (8)
- (tie) Barnes-Jewish Hospital, St. Louis (12)
- (tie) Mayo Clinic Phoenix
- Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago (13)
- University of Pennsylvania-Penn Presbyterian (10)
- (tie) NYU Langone Hospitals, New York (19)
- (tie) UPMC Presbyterian Shadyside, Pittsburgh (14)
- Vanderbilt University Medical Center.
- Mount Sinai Hospital, New York (18)
- Duke University Hospital, Durham, NC. (17)
- Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston.
In addition, nearly 160 hospitals were nationally ranked in at least one specialty from among the more than 4,500 hospitals that were evaluated.
U.S. News says its methodology for determining the nation's Best Hospitals is "based largely or entirely on objective measures such as risk, adjusted survival and readmission rates, volume, patient experience, patient safety and the quality of nursing."
New this year, the magazine said the rankings include more emphasis on patient experience and outcomes measures. For the first time, the procedures and conditions ratings used ICD-10 to achieve comparability in patient populations and outcomes.
John Commins is a content specialist and online news editor for HealthLeaders, a Simplify Compliance brand.
With a couple exceptions, the 2018-19 Honor Roll looks a lot like the 2017-18 Honor Roll.
Mayo Clinic tops Hospital 'Honor Roll' for third straight year.
More than 150 hospitals received national ranking in at least one specialty.