The report suggests that EHR/EMR can be optimized through:
- An easy user experience
- Providing meaningful training to users
- Enabling users to code services properly
- Making the technology available via mobile and other remote options
- Aligning the technology with the larger organization infrastructure
- Automating functions, such as sending potential drug interactions to patients
The report also offers advice for EHR/EMR optimization, including configuring EHR/EMRs to capture quality data using standardized fields and then aggregating and analyzing that data. It also calls for interoperability with other systems and the ability to share data for the benefit of other technologies such telehealth.
Alexandra Wilson Pecci is an editor for HealthLeaders.