Skip to main content

Where Payer Executives Rank Among the Most Influential CEOs of 2023

Analysis  |  By Jay Asser  
   March 17, 2023

Six health insurer leaders made CEOWORLD's annual list of the world's top CEOs and business executives.

CVS Health's Karen Lynch leads the presence of health insurance leaders on CEOWORLD's list of the most influential CEOs and business executives of 2023.

The annual list features six payer CEOs among the top 200: Lynch, UnitedHealth Group's Andrew Witty, Cigna Group's David Cordani, Elevance Health's Gail Boudreaux, Centene's Sarah London, and Humana's Bruce Broussard.

Only four executives are ranked ahead of Lynch, who comes in on the list at number five, followed closely by Witty at seven.

The magazine's list measures more than 1,200 CEOs across 96 countries. The ranking is primarily based on the financial returns for the CEO's entire tenure (60%), with the remaining 40% comprising of the company's track record on environmental, governance, and social issues, as well as market shares, change of market capitalization, and brand's newsworthiness and impact.

See where the payer CEOs ranked:

  • Karen Lynch, CVS Health: 5th
     
  • Andrew Witty, UnitedHealth Group: 7th
     
  • David Cordani, Cigna Group: 17th
     
  • Gail Boudreaux, Elevance Health: 29th
     
  • Sarah London, Centene: 38th
     
  • Bruce Broussard, Humana: 59th

Jay Asser is the contributing editor for strategy at HealthLeaders. 


Get the latest on healthcare leadership in your inbox.